Search This Blog

Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Thai Curry with Chicken and Leeks



Why is it that anything with coconut milk, always tastes delicious? It's so tasty that no matter with what you use this ingredient, it just changes the flavor of it into something dreamy and exotic.  Since I learned to cook with coconut milk I can't seem to forget about it.  I do have phases where I get into cooking with certain things, then after a while I get bored and I forget about them.  Until I see them somewhere and remember to use them again.  However coconut milk hasn't been one of those boring and forgettable ingredients for me.  I absolutely love it, especially when it's combined with coriander and hot chili.
I was inspired to make this when I was looking through Delia's book How to Cook 2. She has a great recipe of a very easy wok dish with chicken and coconut curry called "Stir-Fried Chicken with Lime and Coconut.  I say it's easy, cause it doesn't have too many fancy ingredients, but you still have to marinade the chicken for 1 hour before cooking.  Unfortunately I didn't have this much time and most of the ingredients in her recipe so I came up with something quite different from that, but it still tasted very good.
The best way to end up with soft and nicely cooked meat while making a stir-fry is to use high temperature.   If you keep that in mind, all your stir-fries will end up tasting very good.  It's also necessary to make all your ingredients ready before you start cooking if you don't want to end up over cooked meat and vegetables.
Here is what I used to make my quick Thai curry with coconut milk.

2 small chicken breasts chopped
About 125 ml coconut milk (alternatively you can use coconut powder and some normal half fat cream)
1 tablespoon of coconut fat (I always have this at home for cooking, but you can replace this with peanut oil or olive oil)
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
1 whole leek chopped in thin circles
a handful of fresh coriander leaves chopped
1-2 hot chilies chopped (depending how spicy you want it to be)
some black pepper

Heat your oil or fat in the wok to a high temperature and stir-fry the chicken for 2-3 minutes. Add the leeks in and stir-fry them for another 2 minutes. Add the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce with the chilies, then add the coconut milk. Cook for another 3-4 minutes and then it's all done.  Before you serve, put some fine chopped coriander leaves on it.  Enjoy it with some basmati or jasmine rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment